Chris Evans as Captain America at the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron | Seoul, Korea. April 4, 2014
It has an Avengers logo on the shoulder
IT HAS AN AVENGERS LOGO ON THE SHOULDER THEY’RE A TEAM THEY’RE A REAL TEAM THEY HAVE UNIFROMS WITH LOGOS OH GOSH NO MY HEART
Captain America, drawn in PS.
What, are we taking everybody?
the reason that this line is significant is because jim morita was a japanese-american soldier. while it’s never explicitly stated, here’s what morita’s life would have been like before being captured by HYDRA:
- december 7, 1942: the empire of japan attacked pearl harbor. he was probably a soldier at this time since he was considered to be elite enough for steve’s squad; unknown where he served, although there were many japanese-american soldiers who died in and who were the first responders to the attack.
- december 8, 1942: the us declares a state of war with japan.
- all japanese-american men disqualified from the draft via the label “4-C,” or “enemy alien,” no matter their citizenry. all japanese-american men in the service are removed from duty.
- february 19, 1942: president roosevelt signed executive order 9066, authorizing the military to exclude certain groups from military zones.
- the fbi searched the homes of japanese-americans for “contraband,” including correspondence with anyone in japan such as personal letters. any such contraband is confiscated.
- (fun sidenote: how did they know where to find these people so that they could be harassed? well, gosh, the census bureau told them. illegally. no big deal.)
- community leaders, including priests, gathered up and sent to prison camps like tule lake. this is also where several families were sent to be deported to japan since they were not deemed loyal enough.
- 122,000 people of japanese-american descent are told to sell or store their property as they can only bring what they can carry out of the “exclusion zones,” which meant most of the west coast. (hawaii, whose population was about a quarter japanese, was for the most part not included in this.) given only a few weeks to organize their lives, they were then sent via cattle train to concentration camps set up throughout the us.
- since morita was from fresno, he would have ended up here:
- sunny poston, arizona. conveniently built on an indian reservation against the wishes of the tribal council, who wanted nothing to do with the government’s white supremacist bullshit. why only infringe on the rights and wishes of one minority group, right?
- choice quote: ”After fifteen months at Arizona’s vast Poston Relocation Center as a social analyst, Commander Leighton concluded that many an American simply fails to remember that U.S. Japanese are human beings.”
- shortly after arriving, all prisoners were asked to fill out a survey. most of the questions would be simple, like their name, city of birth, etc, but questions 27 and 28 were different.
- question 27: Are you willing to serve in the armed forces of the United States on combat duty, wherever ordered?
- question 28: Will you swear unqualified allegiance to the United States of America and faithfully defend the United States from any and all attacks by foreign and domestic forces, and forswear any form of allegiance or disobedience to the Japanese Emperor, or any other foreign government, power, or organization?
- did you answer yes to both? congratulations! you’re a soldier. did you answer no to both? perhaps you’re too old or sick to serve? perhaps the general fuckery of this entire situation got you down? perhaps you were born outside of the us, so you can’t disavow your country of origin since there is a very real chance you’ll be deported? haha well congratulations hope you like prison and/or deportation
- so all of this goes on
- and then morita goes on to serve
- and get captured
- and rescued
- and dumbass doogan says, “what, are we taking everybody?”
- fuck you
- i’m from fresno
The game. It`s from May 1941. I know, `cause I was there.
This always makes my heart so happy, because when Steve went into the ice, it was 1944 or 1945—at least three years after that game took place. Most people don’t remember sports events with enough detail to be able to say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, “I was there” when they hear a play-by-play, especially not a baseball play-by-play, with its 150+ games per team every year and its repetitive actions (there’s only so many ways you can say “he struck out swinging”).
You know who does remember that sort of thing? Passionate, loyal fans, that’s who. The ones who live for the summer, who are at every game they can attend, who know the stadium staff on a first-name basis, who drink up the atmosphere and the summer heat and don’t mind the blinding glare of the late afternoon sun. People who memorize rosters, who rail against the team owners when their favorites are traded, who cry when the season ends in a crushing defeat.
Steve Rogers isn’t just a baseball fan; he’s a baseball fan. He’s at the games so much that when a spectacular play is made, he memorizes it, he holds it with him, he can probably tell you exactly where he was standing when it happened, what the air smelled like, how loud the crowd was, how Joey Alinski bought a round of drinks for everybody in their row because how could you not celebrate a play like that?
Steve Rogers is a baseball fan, and that should be talked about more.
#please talk about this more in fic#steve wakes up and the first thing he does when he doesn’t have a world to save is start catching up on all the baseball history he missed#(he would SHOCKED AND SADDENED at what the dodgers have become#he would also be outraged about the yankees#and super sad the cubs still haven’t won a world series#THIS WAS ALREADY A JOKE WHEN I WAS ALIVE he would complain to sam#HOW IS IT SEVENTY YEARS LATER AND THEY STILL HAVEN’T WON ONCE)#(that was me projecting a little but come on tell me steve wouldn’t have a soft spot for the cubs fuckin’ tell me)#and he would start going to nationals games because the dodgers abandoned him and the nationals are a start-up without much history at all#he figures he can start fresh#so he goes to games with a cap pulled low on his forehead and for the most part people don’t bother him#he makes natasha come with him sometimes and she lets him teach her how to keep score and be all half-jokingly disgruntled at the new scoreb#scoreboards and sleek scorecards and hellishly overpriced food#(at least they aren’t an al team do you know how outraged steve would be about designated hitters#because it would be pretty fucking outraged)#so natasha humors him sometimes and sometimes he just goes alone and drinks a beer he keeps reminding himself he can afford and misses bucky#in a quiet sort of way#and just watches the game (foxlives)
losers with letters on their heads in case you forget who they are
Countdown to Winter Soldier: 44 days to April 4th, 2014